Welcome Forums Tax Questions Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kapilan Maheswaran
    Participant

Hi,
    Noticed while registering in the VITA/TCE central that a PTIN was required. I cannot recollect it being mentioned in the orientation and wanted to double check.
    Thanks

There is a spot to place a PTIN, Practitioner Tax Identification Number. It is not a mandatory entry and can be skipped. If you do have a PTIN, you can enter the number So you can obtain some CPE for participation in this program.

Kapilan Maheswaran
    Participant

Thanks, I was under the impression it was required. Note below about requiring it for VITA/TCE credits. I have applied and got one now but thought I was getting an error when I was trying to register in the VITA/TCE certification portal although it is NOT a required field (does not have * next to it).

A PTIN is a “Preparer Tax Identification Number” issued by the IRS and required for all paid tax return preparers. Enrolled Agents and Other Tax Return Preparers interested in obtaining VITA/TCE credits must also have a PTIN. More information about PTINs is available on irs.gov. Please do not include the hyphen when typing in your PTIN number. Please note do not enter your SIDN in this field. Leave it blank if you do not have a PTIN number.

Kapilan Maheswaran
    Participant

Preparers interested in obtaining VITA/TCE credits must also have a PTIN.

Maybe the credits reference is for CPE credits as you mention.

Hi Kapilan,

Thanks for the additional research! Sounds like you’ve got it sorted out, but feel free to update this post if you’re still confused or having trouble with anything. Good luck with the tests! ๐Ÿ™‚

โ€“Tony Zuko

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.